Monday 26 May 2014

Me-Made-May 2014: Days 6-11

So, I've managed to fall really behind on posting pictures! Here's some MMM pictures from earlier this month. 


Tuesday, May 6



Shirt: Me-made (Sewaholic Pendrell, modified)
Cardigan: Thrifted (Nicole Bridger)
Skirt: RTW, somewhat refashioned
Tights: Hue
Boots: Steve Madden

I actually quite like this colour combination, although I never though I would have until I tried it last week (when I was looking for something me-made to wear with my yoga pants and a comfy cardigan...). 


This cardigan is possibly one of my favourites. It's 100% alpaca wool, by a local designer, and made in a fair trade factory in Peru. I bought it at a thrift store for $3.50, and although it had obviously shrunk in places, I managed to block it back into shape quite easily. 


The skirt was made from a dress that was too short, but it works as a skirt (although it's still a little shorter than I like my skirts).


Although I'm getting a fair bit of wear out of this shirt, it's far from perfect. I've barely worn it at all since making it, and it's already quite pilled. It's also tighter than I would like it - in this picture you can see how much it's pulling at the bust. I wanted this to be pretty much exactly my body measurements, but it ended up having a fair bit of negative ease, especially at the bust and hips, which means it pulls at the bust and rides up. I just can't seem to figure out these knits!








Wednesday, May 7



Camisole: Mom-made (self-drafted)
Bolero: Mom-made (Vogue V8673, heavily modified)
Skirt: RTW, somewhat refashioned
Tights: Hue
Boots: Steve Madden

There's not all that much to say about this outfit that I haven't said in other posts... I talked a bit about the bolero in the post on my grad boat cruise outfit, and I've already talked about the camisole and the skirt.


It's funny though - in that post, I said that I wear that bolero quite a bit, but I don't think I've worn it since! I love the style, but I haven't worn it all winter because it's not as warm as wool (it's double knit, probably rayon/poly, with polyester satin lining). Now that it's warmer, I don't really like the feel of the polyester satin next to my skin, which is too bad, because it's super cute! 





















Thursday, May 8


Sweater: Thrifted (Marisa Christina)
Skirt: Me-made (Sewaholic Hollyburn, pre-blog)
Scarf: Me-made (pre-blog)
Tights: Smartwool
Boots: Steve Madden

I love this sweater - it's 100% Italian merino wool, and I bought it for $7, I think. The scarf is a simple infinity scarf made from some yarn (of questionable fiber content) that I bought on sale. It was my knitting project when I was recovering from having my wisdom teeth out, so it's not particularly well made. I realized about 10 rounds in that there was a twist in it but didn't want to redo it all, and the cast-on and cast-off are far too tight. Oh well, it's cute and comfy... perfect for those lazy, rainy days like this one.























Friday, May 9


Shirt: Me-made (self-drafted, pre-blog)
Cardigan: Thrifted (Cynthia Rowley)
Skirt: Me-made (Sewaholic Hollyburn, pre-blog)
Tights: Smartwool
Boots: Steve Madden

This is another colour combination that I never would have thought of, but I really like! It was supposed to be cold and rainy this day (although it wasn't, as you can see), so I wanted to wear this cardigan (another one of my favourites, 100% cashmere and bought for $7), but needed something me-made to go with it, since I was originally planning on wearing it with jeans. I changed at the last minute, and wore it with this skirt, which I like a lot more. I also originally wore this untucked with a pin at the waist, but halfway through the day decided to tuck it in instead. It makes the skirt a little snug, but I find it more flattering this way.





















Saturday, May 10


Shirt: Me-made (Sewaholic Pendrell, pre-blog)
Skirt: RTW, somewhat refashioned
Tights: Hue
Socks: Gifted (handknit)

I decided that I would force myself to wear something half decent this day, even though I stayed at home all day. The shirt is horrible to wear, but I figured I should try to wear it at least once during MMM to see if I could find a better way to wear it, but... nope. It still feels like cheap, yucky polyester.


I realized that my socks don't go with the outfit at all, but they're so cozy that I didn't really care. 


























Sunday, May 11



Dress: Me-made (Sewaholic Cambie)

Cardigan: Consignment (Jackpot)
Shoes: Orthaheel
Bag: Mom-made

This was Mother's Day, so we went for a picnic! We originally planned on going to the beach, but it was so crowded that we couldn't even get near it, so we went to a nearby park instead, which turned out to be a great photo spot. The weather was gorgeous again, so perfect for this dress, and after walking around for a bit while my dad made lunch, I didn't even need my cardigan. 


That's it for photos this time! Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Well, you are a cutie-pie, and you should be writing a book for young women your age. I'm not kidding! I was just looking at the book "Cheap Chic" that was my style manual from college in the 70s, which was all about putting together your own look from thrifted things, the army/navy store, menswear, international and vintage. You should do your own version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a neat idea, but I think I have enough on my plate at the moment without a book to write too... I have a hard enough time keeping up a blog!

      Delete
    2. You're right, enjoy your youth!

      Delete
    3. Well, it’s gone now!

      Delete